![]() |
| Ben Wills with the Olympic torch |
Congratulations to Ben Wills (BSc Sport Coaching) who
recently won the Student Volunteer of the Year award at the first ever Solent
Employability and Enterprise Excellence awards. In his application, Ben
outlined his personal development throughout the degree. “When I began
my degree at Solent I was interviewed and subsequently set up a career plan
with my course leader, together with being given interviews with three
representatives from the rugby industry. I have since been given amazing
opportunities to go on courses, volunteer and develop myself within the sport. I
currently coach about 18 hours a week across a range of different programmes. During my first year I was
provided with a volunteer placement at a London Irish School of Rugby which was
fantastic in gaining exposure to an elite set up. I was also used by Hampshire
at several coaching sessions and festivals throughout the county, working
within a variety of situations and groups such as the Romsey Rugby Club women’s
initiative.”
Matt Johnson, Course Leader for the BSc Sport
Coaching comments “As Ben's
Course leader, I am thrilled that Ben won. He has worked so hard over the last
two years and thoroughly deserves this title. He has demonstrated tireless
commitment to developing his CV and making a difference through rugby. I have
absolute confidence that he will leave Solent as a very knowledgeable and
skilled coach capable of making a difference in whichever environment he
decides to work in."
His employers
were equally positive in their praise for Ben. Gavin
Williams, RFU Coaching & Playing Development Officer added, “Ben has distinguished himself
through a combination of hard-work, commitment and passion for volunteering. He
is a great role model for both the young people he coaches and for his peers
within the University.”
Ivan Torpey, Hampshire Regional Rugby Development Officer comments, “since arriving at Solent
University Ben has made a very positive impact to the development of rugby in
Hampshire. Supporting our RFU Community Rugby Coach, Ben was
instrumental in introducing the game of Tag Rugby to three new local Junior
schools in Shirley. This programme culminated with thirty children
playing Tag rugby at Twickenham in a ‘Curtain raiser’ ahead of the England v
New Zealand autumn International. Tim Allen, Hampshire Rugby Director added to these sentiments by claiming “Ben has undertaken all the jobs we have thrown at
him in Hampshire Rugby with his usual calm efficiency and dedication and has
excelled in all the roles.”
Congratulations to Ben on this
outstanding achievement.


No comments:
Post a Comment